News and information from the world of Interserve

Monday, August 09, 2004

Jordan: 'A lawyer who has fought for the past year for Christian widow Siham Qandah to retain custody of her two children expects the Supreme Islamic Court of Jordan to rule against her in the next few days. After filing a final appeal on July 18, the veteran Amman lawyer said he is now forced to expect Jordan’s highest court to rubberstamp a lower Islamic court ruling in June supporting the children’s Muslim guardian in the custody battle, despite accusations that he embezzled money from the children’s trust funds. If Qandah loses the appeal, she will be ordered by the court to surrender her daughter Rawan, 15, and son Fadi, 14, to their Muslim guardian. In a desperate search for some legal solution, Qandah went last week to several family law experts. Qandah said she was blinded by her tears as she left the office of one Muslim lawyer, who attacked her because she hadn’t raised her children as Muslims. “I am a Christian, and I don’t want to become a Muslim. I just want my very small right, here in my country, to raise my children,” Qandah said.' (Compass Direct)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home